Wednesday, May 18, 2022
20.6 C
Maroochydore
HomeHeritageBackward GlanceBACKWARD GLANCE: International Women's Day

BACKWARD GLANCE: International Women’s Day

International Women’s Day is a global day celebrated annually on March 8 for more than 100 years to commemorate the cultural, political, and socioeconomic achievements of women.

To mark International Women’s Day this year we look back in time to be inspired by and celebrate the many and varied roles women have played on the Sunshine Coast.

Christina Low (nee Campbell), ca 1900

Pioneer of Maroochy (Yandina), Christina (1838-1912) immigrated to Australia from Scotland and arrived in Brisbane in 1849. She married James Low and in 1861 became the first European woman to settle on the Sunshine Coast.

Neptune Ladies Life Saving Team, Mooloolaba Beach, April 1929

The Neptune’s were a Brisbane based club.  They competed for and won the Neptune Cup at Mooloolaba Beach on 1 April 1929.

Beerburrum Centre of the Queensland Bush Nursing Association, 1930s

The Beerburrum branch of the Bush Nursing Association was officially opened on 1 August 1934.  Regular clinics were held at the Beerburrum Clinic and nurses also made regular visits to homes throughout the district.

Jean Easton seated on ‘the overhang’ on east Tibrogargan, Glass House Mountains, June 1932

Together with Nora Dimes, Jean was one of the first two women to climb Mount Lindesay in March 1931.

Lewis Catherine Tutt using a horse and slide to transport water for her laying hens on the family property in Landsborough, 1942
Official opening of the Yandina Ladies Bowling Club, Yandina on 17 May 1956 

The Club held their inaugural meeting in May 1953. The ladies first game of bowls took place on 17 March 1955 and on 5 November 1956, the Club affiliated with the North Coast District Ladies Bowling Association.                         

Ma Bendall, surfing legend of Caloundra, ready to set off on a surfing adventure with suitcases and surfboard 1960s
Order of the Rainbow for Girls charter night CWA hall Nambour 15 May 1963.

The Rainbow Girls was originally established in the United States in 1922 for young women whose fathers were members of the Masonic Lodge and their friends. Rainbow teaches leadership skills through community service and charity work. It is open to girls aged between 11 and 20 years.

Women harvesting ginger by hand on Henry Ham’s property, Buderim, 1968

Until mechanisation ginger picking was repetitive and physically taxing work. Pickers, mostly women, sat on boxes and picked into buckets which were emptied into bags.

Trainers and staff members at the Queensland Egg Marketing Board Depot, Nambour, 1959

The Depot handled the receipt, grading and sale of eggs in the area from Caloundra to Noosa.

Bli Bli Branch of the Q.C.W.A. fortieth Birthday Celebration, February 1970

The branch was formed on 7 February 1930. Pictured include: Mrs Balcombe, Mrs M. Bennett, Mrs S. Philbrook and Mrs E. Stacey, recipients of long service badges.

Thanks to Sunshine Coast Council’s Heritage Library and Picture Sunshine Coast.

What's new

Follow us

48,581FansLike
23,625FollowersFollow
8,999FollowersFollow
2,648SubscribersSubscribe

Related Articles