Enhancing green spaces and the well-loved playground, improving footpaths and amenities plus preserving the pristine foreshore are key ideas shared by the Marcoola community in the first round of community consultation.
Sunshine Coast Council is looking to protect and enhance what the community enjoys about this coastal pocket and has been working closely with the community since early 2021 to gain ideas to guide the development of the draft Marcoola Park and Streetscape Master Plan.
Sunshine Coast Council Division 8 Councillor Jason O’Pray said he was pleased to hear the ideas and feedback provided in the community engagement’s first phase had successfully shaped the draft Master Plan.
“Between December 2021 and January 2022 council sought feedback from residents, community groups, businesses and key stakeholders on their values and vision for the Marcoola North Foreshore Precinct,” Cr O’Pray said.
“Marcoola has an active and engaged community. The residents are passionate about their local area and have clear ideas about what makes it a great place.
“Many of the ideas put forward during the engagement are insightful, logical and actionable within the scope of the Master Plan.
“While many aspects of Marcoola as a ‘community by the sea’ are highly valued and treasured, there are some aspects the community feel can be improved to make it an even better place.
“This feedback has inspired and shaped the masterplan, which aims to guide future projects including upgrades to the foreshore’s Felix Parry Park and streetscape improvements between the Marcoola Surf Life Saving Club and the Lorraine Avenue shops.
“The plan seeks to improve pedestrian access to the park and beach, create a sense of place for locals, improve facilities like Felix Parry Park playground, plus create accessible destinations for all to enjoy.
“Another strong focus is making sure the urban environment respects the natural environment with turtle-friendly lighting and sustainable design elements.
“After translating your feedback into the draft Master Plan, council is now asking the community ‘have we got it right?’
“I encourage our community to be part of Marcoola’s future and provide feedback either online, or in person by speaking with the project team at various upcoming market stalls.”
The community can provide feedback by completing a short survey online at haveyoursay.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au until Friday July 8.
The first round of community consultation occurred last December and January.
How you can have your say
- Saturday, June 18, 2022 – Marcoola Farmers Markets
- Sunday, June 26, 2022 – Pop-up in Felix Parry Park
- Friday, July 1, 2022 – Marcoola Twilight Markets
- Complete the online survey at haveyoursay.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au/mnfp before Friday, July 8, 2022.
Following this consultation, the Master Plan will be finalised, and projects identified for future budget consideration and delivery.
Master Plan key ideas:
- Preserve the Marcoola ‘vibe’ characterised by its casual and relaxed feel, it’s value of community, and respect for the natural coastal environment.
- Enhance Felix Parry Park and playground as a much-loved destination used by the community and visitors.
- Improve pedestrian access and safety across Marcoola Esplanade and Petrie Avenue.
- Improve footpaths in the town area to increase safety and shared zones for pedestrian and cyclists.
- Maintain parking where possible, particularly near the shops and the Marcoola Surf Life Saving Club, without impacting greenspace.
- Add more trees to the park and surrounding streets for shade.
- Preserve the foreshore and existing vegetation. Ensure any improvements are reflective of the community’s strong environmental values.