What a year! Now’s the time to pause, take stock and join the thousands of viewers who have already watched Sunshine Coast Council Mayor Mark Jamieson’s State of our Region online address.
State of our Region provides an update on the progress of the region’s recovery and showcases some of our achievements, key projects and programs that council delivered through 2021 including:
- The endorsement of our Environment and Liveability Strategy and Coastal Hazard Adaption Strategy.
- Our submission to UNESCO nominating the region as an international site of excellence, known as a biosphere.
- Several business programs that have re-energised our economy and prepared us for the next phase in our region’s economic recovery.
- Initiatives for First Nations people with a strong focus on fostering relationships, representation and future wellbeing.
- Our Community Grants Program which saw more than $5.8 million awarded through more than 1100 grants for projects, events and partnerships directly benefiting residents, including $1.5 million awarded to community organisations through the COVID-19 Community Response Grants.
- Our award-winning Community Strategy which has successfully delivered a range of programs and events to support healthy and active lifestyles for the local community, including the highly successful Lift Project Sunshine Coast, Healthy Sunshine Coast, Migrant Learn to Swim and Beach Safe program and the Healthy Ageing Forum.
The address by Sunshine Coast Council Mayor Mark Jamieson also features several community champions:
Jodi Salmond of Reef Check Australia, a marine researcher specialising in citizen science, conservation biology and reef ecology who uses hands-on research and community education to encourage everyone to become the best versions of themselves and to look after the planet.
Karen Kim a recent graduate of the Sunshine Coast Migrant Work Ready program, who is passionate about creating a better world through education and who has volunteered and contributed to council’s long-running Adult Literacy Program.
Local wellbeing experts, Aaron and Khayt Williams of Mindstar, delivering a small business support portal that provides business advice, as well as wellbeing support and strategies to business owners, their staff and our region to B-Well and Prosper.
Award-winning students from Glasshouse Christian College, including Ebony Quinlan and LEDPlates Team of Arno Mens, Charlie Bidgood and Josiah who provide a young person’ perspective as they talk about their achievements for 2021.
Australian wheelchair basketball player, Paralympic silver and bronze medallist and University of the Sunshine Coast Lecturer in Public Health Dr Bridie Kean who reflected on 2021 and the opportunities presented by the Sunshine Coast region’s role in the delivery of the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Quik Corp, managing director David Wardle shares his experience on growing and leading business on the Sunshine Coast and the opportunities available for local businesses.
The State of our Region address is available to view anytime on our
Facebook page: https://fb.watch/9LJ2gLNC4l/
You Tube channel: https://youtu.be/27WmQKR1Jj0